CanadaOne Twitter CanadaOne Linkedin CanadaOne Facebook CanadaONe RSS

Ask The Expert

Are we allowed to claim the HST portion a home contractor has billed us?

By CRA |

Jennifer asked:

We have a contractor working from her home making sales calls for us. She bills us for a portion of her phone bill. When she submits her invoice she indicates the phone charges and the HST associated with our portion of charges. Are we allowed to claim the HST portion she has billed us in our HST remittance to the government?

CRA answered:

As long as the contractor working for you is charging HST for her services, then yes, you can claim that portion. For example, if the contractor's overall phone bill is $200, and she bills you for $100 of that, then she should be charging 13% HST ($13). When you remit HST to the government, you are able to claim that HST portion.

Click here to go back to Ask-an-Expert index page.

Canadian, Eh!

For over 15 years CanadaOne has helped Canadian businesses start-up and grow. All of the content on our site is created to help busineses get Canadian answers!

Featured Member

MemberZone. Get in the zone! Join Today!

CanadaOne Recommends

Bullies in the Boardroom: Covering the Legal Bases

Should I Start My Own Company?

Conversations with Entrepreneurs: Billy Blanks

Avoiding Legal Perils: Critical Insights into Canadian Franchise Law

Starting a Business: Choosing a Year-End