CanadaOne Twitter CanadaOne Linkedin CanadaOne Facebook CanadaONe RSS

Ask an Expert

Vacation pay in Alberta

Expert: Julie King

Nicole Simpson asked:

I live in Calgary Alberta and I want to know if I quit my job am I still entitled to get my vacation pay that has not been payed out yet?

Julie King answered:

To find the answer to your question I looked on the Employment Standards section of the Alberta government's website. Here is an excerpt from the section relation to an employee initiated termination:

'If an employee gives proper notice, the employer must pay all earnings to the employee within three days following termination of employment."

'If an employee quits without proper notice all wages, overtime, holiday and vacation pay is due to the employee within 10 days after the date on which the notice would have expired if it had been given."

So yes, you are entitled to the outstanding vacation pay, and the timing on which it is due depends on the notice period you are obliged to give. The province states that employees should give notice in writing, with the length of notice depending on the duration of employment. For example, you are expected to provide one week's notice for employment of more than three months, but less than two years. If you have been employed for two years or more, you are expected to give two week's notice to your employer.

About the author

Julie King is the co-founder and managing editor of CanadaOne, Canada's first small business portal.

Click here to go back to Ask-an-Expert index page.