CanadaOne Twitter CanadaOne Linkedin CanadaOne Facebook CanadaONe RSS

Ask an Expert

Vacation Pay

Expert: Howard Levitt

Chuck asked:

I was reading on one site that employees were eligible for 3 weeks vacation after 6 yrs but I can't seem to verify that on the ESA website.

Howard Levitt answered:

The amount of vacation an employee is entitled to is governed by the firm's own policy, with a minimum of the amount prescribed under the employment standards legislation in each province. In Ontario, it is 2 weeks per year, no matter how long the person is employed, unless the company, in its generosity, decides to have a policy to provide more.

In other provinces, the amount of vacation pay that a person is entitled to varies. Alberta, New Brunswick, British Columbia, Manitoba, and Quebec all give employees 3 weeks after 5 years. While Saskatchewan gives employees 3 weeks a year instead of the 2 in Ontario.

Each province has different requirements. To find out the regulations for a certain province, you could simply call the employment standards branch in your respective province to find out the amount.

About the author

Howard Levitt, Counsel to the national law firm Lang Michener. He is author of, The Law of Dismissal in Canada, The Quick Reference Guide to Employment Law and an upcoming book on Canadian Hiring Law. He is Editor In Chief of the Dismissal & Employmnet Law Digest.

Phone: (416) 307-4059
Website Bio:

Click here to go back to Ask-an-Expert index page.