CanadaOne Twitter CanadaOne Linkedin CanadaOne Facebook CanadaONe RSS

Ask an Expert

What taxes need to be paid on website hosting services?

Expert: John R Mott

Tyler asked:

What kind of taxes would I have to pay if I start a business buying and selling website hosting space? What if I expand into the independent game development market, selling shareware (try before you buy) products? I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

John R Mott answered:

I suggest that you read CRA's technical bulletin on GST and Electronic Commerce:

You live in Alberta, so retail sales tax should not be an issue. If you happen to make a profit at these activities, then you will also be subject to federal and Alberta income tax.

About the author

John Mott is a chartered accountant and tax specialist with a private practice in mid-town Toronto. He provides tax, accounting and advisory services to individuals and small businesses. He may be visited online at:

Click here to go back to Ask-an-Expert index page.