CanadaOne Twitter CanadaOne Linkedin CanadaOne Facebook CanadaONe RSS

Ask an Expert

Must a business name be registered to be an independent contractor?

Expert: Michael Fromstein

Kathy asked:

Do I have to register a business name in order to become an independent contractor?

Michael Fromstein answered:

You can bill someone under your own name as an independent contractor without registering as a business. However, if you want to carry on business under a business name, you need to register to open a bank account and later, if necessary, to try and enforce collection of amounts owing to the business name.

About the author

Michael Fromstein is a tax specialist with Integrated Professional Specialist Services.

Click here to go back to Ask-an-Expert index page.