CanadaOne Twitter CanadaOne Linkedin CanadaOne Facebook CanadaONe RSS

Ask an Expert

Starting up a Day Care Facility in Manitoba

Expert: Julie King

April asked:

I live in Manitoba, at Falcon Lake. It is a provincial park. There are no childcare facilities out here. How do I get one started, where do I apply for grants and what information will I need in setting up a proposal? The women here do work yet find finding childcare a challenge so there is a definite need out here. We have many workers who live here year round so we would need a facility for all year.

Julie King answered:

Thank you for writing. My first suggestion to you is to gather political support for the day care facility within the community, and in particular from your MPP.

Day care is within the jurisdiction of your province. In Manitoba, the Child Day Care Branch of Manitoba Family Services ".. oversees the operation of child care in the province" and ".. is committed to accessible, high-quality child care for children from 12 weeks to 12 years of age". This branch provides grants and program assistance to eligible child care facilities as a part of their core services.

If you approach the department on your own you should be okay. However, if you can show strong community support and have the support of your MPP you will be in an even stronger position. Once you have contacted this department you will want to find out what their requirements are, and find out from them how the process of securing assistance works. Your MPP may be able to provide assistance with the application process. If not, try getting support for the grant writing process either from the Branch itself, or else from another community member or association that has experience in this area.

I hope this helps, and wish you success in establishing a day care centre in your community.

-- Julie King

About the author

Julie King is the co-founder and managing editor of CanadaOne, Canada's first small business portal.

Click here to go back to Ask-an-Expert index page.