CanadaOne Twitter CanadaOne Linkedin CanadaOne Facebook CanadaONe RSS

Ask an Expert

Day Care Licensing Guidelines

Expert: Julie King

Helen asked:

I live in Manitoba and I am planning to open a day care. I have tried to get an answer to my question from other places put the results have been poor.

Here is my question:
We will be offering a lunch program. Are there any foods that are not allowed to be served. We will be a peanut free centre.

Julie King answered:

To find an answer to your question I spoke to an information officer with Manitoba Family Services and Housing. There are restrictions that you'll need to be aware of. For example, there are nutritional requirements, as you are required to use foods that have a low potential for choking, and you'll need to use a written menu that is posted in advance and then kept on file.

You will want to request a copy of either of the day care licensing guides; there is a different guide for homes & centres. There is a fee, and you can request the appropriate guide from (204) 945-0101. You can also find other information and contacts on this web page:

About the author

Julie King is the co-founder and managing editor of CanadaOne, Canada's first small business portal.

Click here to go back to Ask-an-Expert index page.