CanadaOne Twitter CanadaOne Linkedin CanadaOne Facebook CanadaONe RSS

Ask The Expert

Ask the Expert: Self Publishing & Business Licence Issues

By Reg Pirie |

Val asked:

Am I required by law to hold a business licence if I intend to sell a self published book?

Reg Pirie answered:

There are a number of rules and regulations which deserve investigation before starting your business. If you are situated in Ontario, take the time to call Canada-Ontario Business Service Centre at 416-954-4636 or 1-800-567-2345, or visit the Canada Business Service Centres website. This service offers a wide range of advice, including information about registering a sole ownership / partnership or incorporating a company. You will also be able to source information concerning business licences, provincial tax regulations and GST requirements. The Canada-Ontario Business Service Centre utilizes a self-help telephone menu system but you can also reach a "real" person. If you reside outside Ontario, check the blue pages of your phone book for similar government services in your area.

You should also consider speaking to a lawyer and an accountant before moving ahead with your business venture. This may seem like overkill at this point but you want to make certain your business is properly set up from day one. Invest a little time and money now and you could minimize problems when your enterprise begins to grow.

Click here to go back to Ask-an-Expert index page.

Canadian, Eh!

For over 15 years CanadaOne has helped Canadian businesses start-up and grow. All of the content on our site is created to help busineses get Canadian answers!

Featured Member

MemberZone. Get in the zone! Join Today!

CanadaOne Recommends

Bullies in the Boardroom: Covering the Legal Bases

Should I Start My Own Company?

Conversations with Entrepreneurs: Billy Blanks

Avoiding Legal Perils: Critical Insights into Canadian Franchise Law

Starting a Business: Choosing a Year-End