CanadaOne Twitter CanadaOne Linkedin CanadaOne Facebook CanadaONe RSS


Registering a Business in Yukon, Canada

By Michelle Collins |

The process of registering a business varies from province to province. Here's an overview of how you would register a business in Yukon Territory, based on information available in April 2007.

This article was updated January 19, 2016. 


The first step is to identify what type of business you want to operate, and the type of identity (sole proprietorship, partnership or corporation) that will meet your needs. A lawyer or accountant should be consulted if you are not sure which type of business best meets your needs.

In Yukon, businesses are not allowed to carry names that suggest a connection with the Crown, Royal Family, the Government, or First Nation unless permission has been granted. Also businesses are not allowed to use the following terms: Amalgamated, College, Institute, University, Engineer or Engineering, any Numerals and Initials.

Here is a full list of all the naming reguslations you should be aware of: 


Sole Proprietorship

If you decide on this structure you must contact the Department of Community Services in the Corporate Affairs office and have them perform a name search for you. There is no cost for this service. The name hat you decide on must be distinct, descriptive, and legal. This means that people should know what the main business function is and be able to identify your business from others in the same industry. It also means that you can not use inc., or similar terms associated with other business structures

Once you have successfully completed the name search you must then complete the Application for Name Reservation form and file it with the Corporate Affairs office. Accoridng to the Yukon Partnership and Business Names Act, as of May 2015, the fee to file a declaration of business name is $25.00 plus $12.50 if any endorsed copies are desired.

If you would like your business name to be published in the Yukon Gazette, this will cost $40.00



A partnership registration follows the same steps as a sole proprietor. This means that the first step in the process is to choose a distinctive, descriptive, and legal name. There is no charge to have this search done, but you need to contact Corporate Affairs to make it official.

When you have completed the name search, and received approval, you will be issued a Certificate of Name Reservation. Your next step is to fill out the Declaration of Partnership form and file it with the Corporate Affairs office. You msut also pay a fee to file this form. The fee for this service is $25.00. This form must be renewed every 3 years. 


To incorporate your business in the Yukon you must first do a NUANS search. This is a cross Canada search which will ensure that the name you have chosen is not being used anywhere in the country. The cost for this is $40.00 and you can contact the Corporate Affairs office to start the process.

Once the NUANS search is complete and you have a name, your next step is to complete and file the Articles of Incorporation. You will have 90 days to submit this form from when your name is approved and reserved. You may want to consult a lawyer to help you with the incorporation to make sure that all the papers are completed and filed correctly. 

In addition to the Articles of Incorpration, you will also have to complete these two forms:

Notice of Address

The issuing of a Certificate of Incorporation will cost you $300.




Sole Proprietorship $25
Partnership $25
Endorsed Copies $12.50
NUANS Search $40
Incorporation $300


Also, you may expedite any service for a fee of $100.00 on top of all other fees. 


Corporate affairs C-6
Department of Community Services
Law Center, 3rd Floor
2130 Second Avenue
Whitehorse, YT
Y1A 5H6
Phone: (867) 667-5314
Toll free (In Yukon): 1-800-661-0408, local 5314
Fax: (867) 393-6251

Canadian, Eh!

For over 15 years CanadaOne has helped Canadian businesses start-up and grow. All of the content on our site is created to help busineses get Canadian answers!

Featured Member

MemberZone. Get in the zone! Join Today!

CanadaOne Recommends

Bullies in the Boardroom: Covering the Legal Bases

Should I Start My Own Company?

Conversations with Entrepreneurs: Billy Blanks

Avoiding Legal Perils: Critical Insights into Canadian Franchise Law

Starting a Business: Choosing a Year-End


Article Tags